Sunday, July 7, 2013

Back from NYC!

Last week, I got to go to Teachers College at Columbia University in NYC for the reading institute with one of my colleagues. SO MUCH FUN! I learned so much, I seriously could blog for the rest of my life solely about the reading institute! I can't wait to start creating and using some of the ideas I got from the institute! Fabulous in First's Sunday Smorgasbord Linky is perfect for me today - this is a bunch of random! :)

Teacher's College swag bag- love!


My coworker and I got to have a private lunch with KATHY COLLINS. She is my teacher crush! She is absolutely amazing to listen to. She also delivered the closing speech for the week for the institute.


My birthday was July 4th! We were in NYC for it. We decided to brave the 100 degree (felt like 100000 degree) weather and the millions of people and visit the statue of liberty and the 9/11 memorial. I'll admit, we took the ferry to Liberty Island, saw the AMOUNT OF PEOPLE ON THE ISLAND WAITING TO RETURN (Oh, my, gosh...) and said no thanks to departing from the ferry! So we took some nice pics from the ferry instead :)


The night before my birthday, we saw Wicked on Broadway! It was absolutely amazing. 



I heard about SO MANY AMAZING READ ALOUDS this week! I could do a whole blog post just about read alouds. I think I spent $100 on Amazon while I was away loading up my cart! This is one that I purchased while in NYC. It is SO cute, the language is incredible, and the vocabulary in this book lends itself to some great vocabulary work :) I recommend it! (Plus, it kinda looks like my dog Lola...)


I was spoiled on my b-day even in NYC! My mom shipped me some chocolate covered strawberries :)


I plan to be back tomorrow with a new chalk themed freebie :)

Link up! 



6 comments:

  1. Ohhhhhhh, jealousy, jealousy. The institute sounds amazing. My boys go off to college this fall, so maybe next summer I will look into one and go somewhere great! Love your blog. I will surely be following you on bloglovin'.

    Cindi

    Diary of a Grateful Teacher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you definitely need to go! So worth it :) Thanks for following!

      Sara

      Delete
  2. I am sooo jealous!!! I love NYC! I can't wait to go back there some day!
    The Teachers College is coming to do a week long training a couple weeks from now with some of the people in my district. I am lucky enough to be one of those people but I so wish it was in NYC.
    That was so sweet that your mom sent you chocolate.
    Can't wait to hear more about your trip! :)
    Antoinette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh so lucky!! Let me know who comes for training - we worked with a lot of the staff developers in NYC and they are all so amazing! :)

      Delete
  3. Happy b day! i live on the west coast and would love to visit NYC, but I'm thing maybe the fall would be a better time! Fun post! I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete